I hope your preparation is going smoothly for the forthcoming JEE Main 2021 exam. In this article I have aimed to equip students with useful methods to remember things. These are the tricks you have heard about and all but never had any solid clue about.
Why these study hacks?
Some topics in Physics, Chemistry or Math are said to be the foundation, meaning without mastering those topics you can’t move forward. For example Chemistry and periodic table can never be separated. One of the most important and can’t miss topic has some hacks to help JEE Main aspirants. Good news for JEE Main aspirants is that mnemonics will save a lot of time and energy to remember JEE Main Chemistry. I know each and every one of us has certain methods in place to learn and remember important things. Usually, this technique basically works best with rhyming phrases or words, and just to put this into perspective. Therefore, we bring to you some great subject wise mnemonics for your JEE Main Preparation. Without wasting much time let’s get to it!
JEE Main Chemistry
Learning the periodic table
Learning the periodic table in chemistry is one of the most boring past of the subject as it is just relating the element to a number, so the following mnemonics are surely going to help you in not just learning them but save time. We’ll go one by one to remember the name of elements from different blocks/groups of the periodic table.
- Group 1 / Alkali Metals
Lina Kare Rab Se Fariyad.
Li, Na, K, Rb, Cs, Fr
- Group 2 / Alkaline Earth Metals
Beta Mange Cars Saari Baap Roye.
Be, Mg, Ca, Sr, Ba, Ra
- Group 13/ Boron Group
Bengan, Aalo, Gazar In Thella
B, Al, Ga, In, Tl
- Group 14 / Carbon Group
Chemistry Sir Gives Sanki Problems.
C, Si, Ge, Sn, Pb
- Group 15 / Nitrogen Group
Nepal Pakistan Australia Sab Bikhari. (No offence!!)
Elements: N, P, As, Sb, Bi
- Group 16/Oxygen Group
Os Se Tepo.
O, S, Se, Te, Po
- Group 17/ Halogens
Fir Call kar Bahaar AayI Aunty.
F, Cl, Br, I, At
- Group 18/ Noble Gases
Heena Neena Aur Kareena Sexy Rahna.
He, Ne, Ar, Kr, Xe, Rn
Esi TV Corporation Mange Fir raha hein, Koi Ni Kuch nahi Janta.
Sc, T, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn
Important Chemistry Laws
There are a large number of laws given by different people, it might be a pain to remember which law was given by whom, thus mnemonics related to remembering laws are:
- BLT – Pronounced as BOLT, here B stands for Boyle’s, L stands for Law and T stands for Temperature, we know that Temperature is constant in Boyles law.
- CLP – Pronounced as CLIP, here C for Charles, L for Law and P for Pressure, we all know in Charles law pressure is constant.
- GLV- Pronounced as GLIVE or GLOCK, G for gay’s, L for Law and V for Volume. We all know that in Gay’s law volume is constant.
- Loss of Electrons is Oxidation – LEO (for the Lion)
- Gain of Electrons is Reduction – GERsss (for gurrs).
- Cations are positively charged as ‘t’ in cation looks like a ‘+’.
JEE Main Physics
This is easily one of the most difficult territories to work on; the following mnemonics help you out as you can memorize some of your formulas and relations by grouping them phonetically into one work or sound. For example:
- Voltage = Current x Resistance V = I R Remember as say it to yourself as “vir” which rhymes with stir.
- Power = Current x Voltage P = I V Remember, and say it to yourself as “piv”.
- Nobody wants to do extra work, so you’d be crazy, or mad to do work for W = F d or W = mad
JEE Main Mathematics
Mathematics is a land of formulas and thus it is recommended that you create your own mnemonics in order to remember them, but here are some examples.
- Two Old Angels Skipped Over Heaven Carrying Ancient Harps (Tangent = O/A, Sine = O/H, Cosine = A/H).
Where O=opposite, A=adjacent, and H=hypotenuse.
Trigonometric Signs in Quadrants
All Silver Tea Cups
- Quadrant 1 – All Positive
- Quadrant 2 – Sin positive, therefore cosec
- Quadrant 3 – Tan positive, therefore cot
- Quadrant 4 – Cos positive, therefore sec
- Dad, Mom, Sister, Brother, Rover (Divide, Multiply, Subtract, Bring Down, Remainder).
Order of Operations
- Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiply, Divide, Add, Subtract).
Metric System Prefixes in Value Order
- King Henry Died Drinking Chocolate Milk (Kilo=x 1000, Hecta=x 100, Deca=x 10, Deci=x 0.1, Centi=x 0.01, Milli=x 0.001).
Other mnemonics in Mathematics are like:
- Factoring Binomials, Use FOIL – First, Outer, Inner, Last
- Mean, Median, and Mode – Mode is most frequent, Median is in the middle is like a median in the road, Mean is just average.
Create your own…
It is suggested that you use these techniques and to create your mnemonics and make your life a little bit easier & learning fun. Drop in comments if you know some more and help others.
We wish you all the best for the upcoming JEE Main exam.