In today’s world, a laptop is as essential as textbooks for any college student. Not just for taking notes or completing assignments, but it should also handle some big tasks such as streaming movies or playing games. Laptops are more important ever for every college student this year due to the implementation of distance learning. So, if you’re a student who is mostly at home attending online classes, then a laptop that you can use wherever you’re is very vital.
Best Laptops for College Students
With the rise of competition in the market, there are so many choices available at so many different prices, which is homework in itself to find the best laptop out there that meets all your needs. So, if you’re a college student looking to buy a laptop that can handle all the significant tasks and doesn’t burn a massive hole in your pocket, then you’re in the right place. In this article, we’re going to see a list of the Best laptops for college students.
But the real question is, which is the best laptop in 2021? Unfortunately, it isn’t easy to answer. Each model has its unique features and specs. Therefore we have compiled some of the best tips to help you research the best laptop for you.
Let’s go in detail:
Browse by Sections
ASUS VivoBook S15
- 15.6 inch Full HD NanoEdge bezel display with stunning 86% screen-to-body ratio
- Latest 11th generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 Quad Core Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.70 GHz, with IPU)
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB PCIe SSD and Windows 10 Home
ASUS VivoBook S15 laptop is a fantastic example of computer hardware engineering done right. ASUS has used all its tricks to make this book- Slim body, the lithium-polymer battery in a metal chassis while completely eradicating the VGA port. With all these, they managed to include both an SSD and HDD.
This laptop has 4 GB of RAM that’s sufficient for any college work, and allows you to upgrade your VivoBook S15 up to 16GB of DDR4 2133 memory. In addition, it has a Full HD IP display with a 178-degree wide viewing angle and a fingerprint sensor for quick login. It is the best choice for students who love lightweight and sleek laptops.
- Lightweight, Sleek design
- Lithium-polymer battery with Fast charging capability
- Equipped with the fast fingerprint sensor
- Improved cool running solution
- It has an Nvidia GeForce 940MX GPU
- Small battery capacity
- Cheap VGA cam
- Has only 4 GB of memory
Apple MacBook Air (M1 Late 2020)
Apple MacBook Air is one of the most portable laptops one can have. Its laptop is also considered the thinnest and lightweight laptop available in the market. This beautifully designed laptop comes with a 2560*1600 screen and has extraordinary features such as Touch ID fingerprint login, Scissor switch keyboard, and a massive trackpad. The Macbook air comes with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. It gives a battery life of 18 hours and can handle intensive apps like Photoshop and other software without crashing. Apple MacBook Air is available at $999, which is the best price among all MacOS laptops.
- High-quality keyboard
- Portable design
- Improved performance
- Value for money product
- Only 2 USB type-C ports are available.
ACER Chromebook 514
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - an operating System from Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time. (Internet connection is required)
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and slides
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google play to learn and do more
Acer Chromebook 514 is a low-end Chromebook that manages to give you a lush feeling with its beautiful design. It is covered with a metal case and has a lovely large touchpad under the keyboard. It comes with 4GB RAM and 32 GB storage and consists of Chrome OS. That’s a pleasure to use and works much better than windows.
With a 14-inch Full HD screen, Chromebook can last for about 12 hours to survive a school day without using a charger. With all the fantastic features, this laptop betrays its actual price by outperforming.
- Outstanding battery life
- Huge touchpad
- Slick design with aluminum body
- Comfortable backlit keyboard.
- Processors need improvement
Dell Inspiron 14 7000
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10510U Processor, 1.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4.9 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 8 Threads
- 8GB LPDDR3 RAM, 512GB NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive, No DVD
- 14-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Non-Touch Narrow Border WVA Display, Intel UHD Graphics with shared graphics memory
Dell Inspiron 14 7000 series is a well-rounded ultrabook that offers many features in an affordable price range. With a sturdy hinge design, the body comes with 14’s aluminum body which is comfortable and looks good when closed. This ultrabook has a chicket-style keyboard that feels very light and smooth while tying. It features 2 USB ports, a 1-in-1 SD card reader, and HDMI output for connectivity options. It utilizes HDD and a small SSD which makes it a bit heavier than regular ultrabooks. However, it weighs 4.4 lbs and 0.6 inches thick that is still portable.
- Outstanding battery life
- Lightweight and portable
- Wi-fi 6
- The touchpad can be a bit noisy
Acer Swift 5 14-inch
- Get high performance, responsiveness and long battery life with the intel core i7-1165g7 processor - up to 4.7ghz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 12mb intel smart cache
- "14.0" full hd (1920 x 1080) widescreen led-backlit ips antimicrobial corning gorilla glass display with integrated touch, 340nit brightness, 100% srgb, intel iris xe graphics"
- 16gb onboard lpddr4x memory and 1tb nvme ssd
Acer Swift 5 14-inches is a feature-rich laptop that earns the title for lightest 14-inch notebook ever made. This laptop has a robust body that is made of magnesium-aluminum alloy, making it very light. It includes a Tiger Lake CPU, long battery life, a slim build, adequate brightness for display, Intel Core i5-1135G7, 8GB of RAM, and a 512GB SSD. A pretty good screen and smooth hardware make this laptop very attractive to customers.
- Keeps cool under heavy load
- 1080p matte touch screen display
- No bass speakers
- The trackpad is clunky when clicked
Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 14
- 【Authorized WOOV 32GB Micro SD Card】AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor (8C / 8T, 2.0 / 4.1GHz, 4MB L2 / 8MB L3), Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating System.
- 14" FHD (1920x1080) IPS 250nits Glossy Touch Screen, Integrated AMD Radeon Graphics
- 16GB DDR4-3200 Memory, 512GB SSD PCIe NVMe Storage
Lenovo Ideapad flex 5 14 is a flexible laptop that offers better computing performance than any other competitors in their price range. This beautifully designed laptop has a 360-degree hinge and a 1080p touchscreen that carries the latest Tyzen 7 5700U zen two processors. It includes 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz RAM. In addition, it gives up to 9 hours of consistent battery life with a single charge. So, If you’re looking for a laptop to get your work done at home, then this might be the perfect option for you.
- Comfortable keyboard
- Gives outstanding performance
- Robust computing
- Value for money
- The display isn’t bright enough
- It can be a bit buggy in tablet mode
HP Envy x360 13(2020)
- Intel Evo platform powered by 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 1.3 GHz turbo up to 4.7 GHz
- 13.3-inch diagonal, FHD (1920 x 1080), multitouch-enabled, IPS, edge-to-edge glass, microedge, BrightView, Corning Gorilla Glass NBT, HP Sure View integrated privacy screen
- 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM (onboard); 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
HP Envy x360 13 delineates the sub-1000$ category by delivering a premium 2-in-1 laptop. Envy x360 has an excellent 13-inch touchscreen with a comfortable keyboard. The CPU of this laptop has AMD’s new 4000-series processors that deliver outstanding performance. It includes Ryzen 5 4500U, 8GB of RAM, and also a 256GB SSD. The performance of this laptop is so good that it outperformed MacBook pro in specific tests. In addition, envy’s battery lasts for an entire workday on a single charge. This laptop is recommended to those who want a premium notebook in an affordable price range.
- Sturdy design
- All-day battery life
- Outstanding performance
- Good keyboard
- No thunderbolt 3
- There’s some bloatware
Microsoft Surface Pro 7
- Next-gen, best-in-class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch, draw, write, work, and play more naturally
- Faster than Surface Pro 6, with a 10th Gen Intel Core Processor – redefining what’s possible in a thin and light computer. Wireless : Wi-Fi 6: 802.11ax compatible. Bluetooth Wireless 5.0 technology
- More ways to connect, with both USB-C and USB-A ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging
Microsoft surface pro 7 is the first model in its series to have a Type-C port. It has a fluid and responsive UI that’s very easy to use. It comes with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD and uses Intel’s 10-nanometer processors making the device much faster at processing everyday tasks. In addition, it has more robust streaming at high resolutions. It is equipped with a 14nm Intel core CPU.
When it comes to battery power, we don’t see much improvement made from its windows-tablet predecessors. It gives up to 10.5 hours of battery life on a single charge.
- Improved performance
- Snappy Intel “Ice Lake”
- Sharp display
- Supports Wi-fi 6
- It comes with a USB-C port
- USB-C isn’t thunderbolt C
- The battery isn’t much improved
Lenovo Yoga 730 (13-inch)
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
Lenovo Yoga 730 is a versatile laptop ideally made for users who want speed, comfort, and portability. It has a sleek design and is very lightweight. The area around the keyboard is made of aluminum material which makes it stronger. It comes with a 13.3 inch IPS LCD touchscreen with two display options. It comes with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. Lenovo Yoga 730 is specifically made to perform your daily workload without any hitch. The battery life could be better, but nevertheless, it’s a perfect deal.
- Gives extraordinary performance
- Bright and colorful display
- Good keyboard
- Bit pricey
- Weak speakers
- Keyboard gets hot quickly with CPU
Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch M1
- BTO MacBook Pro 13.3" with Retina Display - 61W USB Type-C Power Adapter - USB Type-C Charge Cable (2m) - Apple 1 Year Limited Warranty with 90 Day Technical Support
- Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU and 8-core GPU
- 16-core Neural Engine
Apple MacBook Pro is a dream laptop for any Apple fan. It comes with M1 SoC (8 CPU cores, 8 GPU cores), 8GB RAM, and 256GB of storage. It has graphics powered by Intel integrated iris plus graphics 645. It comes with two connectivity options and comes with two Thunderbolt 3 USB ports, headphones, and mic combo jack ports. The battery life of this MacBook is beyond impressive, and it’s something you don’t have to worry about every day. Considering all features and performance, the Macbook pro remains a workhorse for people who want compact macOS to complete their intensive tasks.
- Best Display
- Improved performance
- Good graphics
- Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
- Outstanding Battery Life
- Only 2 USB-C ports
- No support for wi-fi 6
Buying Guide For Laptop
Research your college
The first and most important task is the check with your college for system requirements. For example, some colleges require their students to have windows laptops for software compatibility and technical assistance in case students run into any issues. At the same time, other colleges don’t concentrate much on software, whether it’s windows or macOS, or Linux. Also, some colleges tend to have on-site repair computer repair centers that repair the laptops purchased from the college or some affiliated computer store of the university. So, check your college campus as your first shopping place before going to your local electronic store.
Choose a portable Laptop.
A student will have to travel every day carrying a huge laptop most of the time. It is nice to have a 5 pound plus laptop in your room, but the same laptop becomes a bother when you carry it across your campus while you’re running from class to class. Hence, it’s better to buy a laptop that’s lightweight and easy to carry around. If screen size doesn’t matter much to you, then a 13inch -14inch wide panel laptop is ideal for you.
The battery is very important, especially for a college student who is away from the power outlet for longer periods. While buying laptops, you get two options- either choose one that maximizes the performance or gives you long battery life.
If you want to have long battery hours to spend your time on web browsers, then Chromebook might be good for you. As they have run on the low-powered processor, but its CPU is sufficient for everyday tasks. And if you’re a person who plays games in your downtime, then an expensive gaming laptop would be best to buy.
With the increasing development of cloud storage, having local storage is somehow of less importance than it initially used to be, yet this factor should be taken care of while buying your laptop. If you have a lot of large software and files that you want to store locally for a long time, then you’ll need a laptop with at least 500GB or more, and if your work is mostly online, it’s better off with a laptop having less space. However, it would help if you remembered that storage highly affects your speed. So it is recommended to buy SSDs regardless of their cost as they are better than hard drives and are much faster than hard drives.
In every laptop, Faulty components usually break in the first year of buying. So it’s recommended to buy a laptop with at least a one-year warranty on its parts and labor charge. Also, it would help if you remembered that warranties do not cover any accidents caused by spilled water.
Some laptops give you extended warranties; for example, Apple offers an extended warranty of three years.
Although, warranties cost more than 15% of the laptop. Still, it’s better to be backed up with a warranty if the motherboard fails or the display stops working.
|Laptop Model||Brand||Display Size (inch)||Pros||Cons|
|ASUS VivoBook S15||Asus||15.6||Lightweight, Sleek design|
Lithium-polymer battery with Fast charging capability
Equipped with the fast fingerprint sensor
Improved cool running solution
It has an Nvidia GeForce 940MX GPU
|Small battery capacity|
Cheap VGA cam
Has only 4 GB of memory
|Apple MacBook Air (M1 Late 2020)||Apple||13.3||High-quality keyboard|
Value for money product
|Only 2 USB type-C ports are available.|
Incompatible with older hardware
|ACER Chromebook 514||Acer||14||Outstanding battery life|
Slick design with aluminum body
Comfortable backlit keyboard.
|Processors need improvement|
|Dell Inspiron 14 7000||Dell||14||Outstanding battery life|
Lightweight and portable
|The touchpad can be a bit noisy|
In today’s age, the competition in the electronic industry is so high that it’s getting hard to choose a good or bad laptop. Each day a new laptop is getting released with better features. But what separates the best laptop from a good laptop is efficiency, portability, battery life, and comfort.
So, which laptop should you buy? There are more choices on the market today than ever. And going through all of them is pretty daunting. Hence, we advise you to go through buying guide we’ve mentioned in this article before making your final decision and choose a laptop the laptop of your dreams.
Last update on 2021-07-24 using Amazon Product Advertising API