It’s impossible to resolve the dispute about which is more important, design or content, since neither of them works fully without the other. Without content, a design is just a wrapper without filling.
Today we will look at the type of content that users generally encounter when browsing most web pages on a day-to-day basis — images.
The most popular image types in web design
All web design companies and experts know that images are not just a beauty factor: in UX design, images play a crucial role in creating usability. Most internet users are vision-driven; they perceive visual data faster than text. Thus, it’s common for images to be the layout elements that are viewed first.
Moreover, they are descriptive and emotionally engaging, and they convey not only a message but a certain aesthetic as well. Moreover, images on web pages positively affect a site’s SEO ranking.
The logo is a symbolic representation of the brand. Hence, it is the flossy visual element common for the majority of websites. What should be remembered when placing a logo on a website page?
- Place the logo in one of the most scanned areas of the web page – header.
- Be sure that when users click on a logo, it takes them to the home page or the top of the page.
- If it’s a landing page, think about animating the logo: some movement will add dynamic and life to the website.
Theme Based Photos
Photos are the classics of web design.
A site usually features thematic, demo photos, product images, blog covers and support, banner photos, etc. and are important for any web design or web consulting firm designing a page.
Where can you get photos?
- Original photographs taken and processed independently for each specific purpose: This is the most expensive option, but the photographs will be unique and the site will rank well on the web.
- Paid stock photos: Stock photo websites offer paid photos on any topic. But sometimes finding a photo that suits your needs can be difficult.
- Free stock photos: This is the savviest option, but you have to be prepared for the fact that these photos are used everywhere, so you have to twist to make them more original in your design.
Also, consider the following tips when using photography in web design:
- Download high-resolution photos
- Don’t use photos as decor – let them talk to users, convey a message, and support any other element of the layout
- Optimize them for the web to avoid oversized images overloading the page – loading speed is a critical factor in a positive user experience
- Think about responsiveness and check how images look on different screens and devices
One of the most famous design trends of the past two years has been the use of photographs as a website background. This approach makes pages visually appealing and more engaging. However, it requires deep attention to contrast and legibility of all elements, which can be more difficult to achieve with monochrome backgrounds.
Therefore, you can pay attention to another trend – the details of the photo on a monochrome white background and the use of elements of abstract graphics. To create such an effect, use the background remover by Retoucher Online.
Another big web design trend in 2023 is the use of custom illustrations for various website needs. Custom graphics, made in various styles, effectively support the rapid perception of information on a page or screen. They also provide a solid foundation for visual originality. Illustrations add aesthetics and beauty to the blogs and websites we read and also broaden the creative horizons of artists.
Custom digital illustrations let you tell stories with quick visual cues about the nature of the service being offered, set the mood with a vibrant color palette, and maintain the integrity of all parts of the page.
A mascot is a drawn character, a personified image that becomes a brand symbol after the logo.
In web user interfaces, mascots can serve as an effective element of communication and interaction. By changing his appearance, emotions, clothes, mood, you can quickly convey a certain message to the user. They are especially useful where you need to give helpful instructions or congratulate users on some accomplishments. All this makes interaction with the system more human.
Another type of web visuals that is gaining popularity this year is 3D renders. It is computer graphics created by converting 3D wireframes to 2D images. Many images have photorealistic effects, which are a big advantage for web designs. 3D graphics can come in handy in cases where the required photo content is not available or is very expensive.
Well-executed 3D graphics are very eye-catching and compelling, so they can greatly impact the look of your web design and conversion rates.
Psychologists say that it takes people about 1/10th of a second to get a general perception of a visual scene or element – this is a speed that is impossible for textual elements. Moreover, essential pieces of information are often recorded by the brain in the form of visual images, even if they were obtained through the perception of the text.
And, of course, pictures push the boundaries of perception for users who have natural problems with text recognition, such as, for example, dyslexic or unreading preschoolers.
Feel free to use images in your web design. In the modern world, this is a must.