Are you a Mechanical Engineering student? And are you looking for the right laptop for yourself? Do not worry; I have got you covered. In this article, I have listed the best laptops for you (which I think is best for you).
I have used all my tech and college life experience to prepare this list. But be sure to read reviews and delivery options at your location and decide on your wisdom and budget. Because this list of the best laptops for mechanical engineering students is only advisory in nature and not absolute.
Browse by Sections
Minimum Requirement for Laptops for Mechanical Engineering Students
We, as a mechanical engineering students, are required to have better machines, because not only our programs require heavy specifications but also different runtime environment needs.
The best laptops for mechanical students need to
- be portable & lightweight
- be built with performance in mind
- have optimized display (1080p or higher)
- have high storage capacity (1TB or higher)
- be durable
- have a great processor (i5 or higher), and
- have good graphics.
A minimum of 8GB RAM and 1TB laptop storage is required in laptop for mechanical students.
Thus you need to keep in mind these points while making a purchase.
In addition, as a mechanical engineering student, you have to make sure that the laptop you buy can handle software like ANSYS, Computer-Aided Design (CAD) apps, SolidWorks, CREO Parametric, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), MATLAB, LabView, MS Office, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), etc., which you would need in your course.
So basically you’ll need Windows-based laptops or a MacBook. Linux laptops are not recommended for mechanical engineers – at least in most colleges.
Best Laptops for Mechanical Engineering Students
Here we have filtered out the 10 best laptops that will be good for mechanical engineering students. We have included a few gaming laptops, too, as they provide high performance and works equally smooth like a gaming laptop.
Dell Precision 5530 1920 X 1080 15.6″ LCD Mobile Workstation with Intel Core i7-8850H Hexa-core 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
- 15.6" UltraSharp FHD IGZO4, 1920x1080, AG, NT, w/Prem Panel Guar 72% Color Gamut, Platinum Silver
- Nvidia Quadro P2000 w/4GB GDDD R5
The model is exceptionally lightweight and is thin. Thus you can easily carry it to and fro from college. It is engineered to perform well under any given conditions and take on any task very easily. If you consider the specs and the performance of this laptop, you will know why it is called the “beast of the computer.”
Here are the specifications:
- Brand: Dell
- Screen Size: 15.6 inches
- Processor: Hexa-core 2.6 GHz Intel i7-8850H
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4
- Storage: 512 GB Flash Memory Solid State
- Weight: 3.92 lbs
- Memory speed: 2666 MHz
- Graphics: Quadro P1000
- Operating system: Windows 10
- Batteries: 1 Lithium-ion battery required. (included)
Lenovo Legion 5i Pro Flagship 16 Gaming Laptop 16″ QHD IPS 165Hz Anti-Glare Display 11th Gen Intel Octa-Core i7-11800H 16GB RAM 512GB SSD GeForce RTX 3050 4GB RGB Backlit KB Win10 Gray + HDMI Cable
Lenovo Legion 5i Pro is a gaming laptop but will serve your purpose of having an educational laptop efficiently also. It provides powerful performance and has good construction and durability. The model supports good connectivity, and if needed, you can also upgrade its RAM to 32 GB.
- 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD
- Equipped With The Powerful and Fast 11th Gen Intel Octa-Core i7-11800H (Base Clock 2.3GHz, Max Boost Clock Up to 4.6GHz, 24MB Smart Cache, 16 Threads)
- Brand: Lenovo
- Screen Size: 15.6 inches
- Processor: Intel Core i7-10750H 10th Gen
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4
- Storage: 1TB SSD
- Weight: 5 lbs
- Memory speed: 2.6 GHz
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
- Operating system: Windows 10
- Batteries: 1 Lithium Polymer battery required. (included)
Though two major downsides of this model are that, it does not have an in-built webcam (bleh!) and weights a rough 2.3 kgs.View Deal at Amazon
Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop, 15.6″ Full HD IPS, AMD Ryzen 3 3350U Quad-Core Processor, 20GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB SSD, Intel WiFi 6, Backlit KB, Fingerprint Reader, Win10 Home+Oydisen Cloth
This is another classic model from Acer which has overall good performance. This laptop runs on Windows 11 operating system and provides you with up to 9.5-hours of battery life.
- 【Processor】AMD Ryzen 3 3350U Quad-Core Processor (Base Frequency at 2.10GHz, Up to 3.50GHz at Maximum Boost Clock, 4 Cores, 4MB Cache, 4 Threads)| Radeon Vega 6 Graphics
- 【Display】15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS Display, enjoy your photos, movies, and games with the crisp quality.
Overall it is a good laptop and has a sleek silver finish to it. The laptop works fine over long periods without producing too much heat.
HP 15.6” FHD Micro-Edge Slim Laptop, Intel Celeron N4020, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD, USB-C, HDMI, RJ-45, Wi-Fi, Webcam, Fast Charge, SD Reader, Mytrix_HDMI Cable, Win 10
The laptop provides you with very high-quality performance without any lagging. You get a 16-inch screen and a highly efficient cooling system in it. The only downside of the laptop is that it does not have an exceptional battery life, unlike its other features.
- 【SLEEK & PORTABLE DESIGN】The HP laptop is so sleek, slim, and stylish that you can easily take this thin and light PC anywhere
- 【MULTITASK WITH EASE】Dual-core Intel Celeron processor delivers you responsive performance and modern features to simplify everyday tasks. Adequate high-bandwidth RAM enables you to run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once smoothly. In addition, the Solid-State drive helps boot up in seconds, making it transfer files without waiting hours. With it, you will enjoy a snappier experience whenever you use your PC
ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14″ VR Ready FHD Gaming Laptop,8 cores AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS(Upto 4.2 GHzBeat i7-10750H),Backlight,HDMI,USB C,NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650,Gray,Win 10 (16GB RAM|1TB PCIe SSD)
- AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS(beat 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H), 8 Core processor up to 4.20 GHz, features machine intelligence that anticipates your needs. Discover true responsiveness with 8 cores and 16 threads for ultimate performance.
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics, Backlit keyboard, Virtual Reality Ready with required specs to run Virtual Reality hardware and software and is compatible with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Windows Mixed Reality Ultra.
HP OMEN 15.6″ FHD IPS Premium Gaming Laptop | Intel Core i7-10750H | 32GB RAM | 1TBSSD +1TBHDD | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti | Backlit Keyboard | Windows 10 | with Mouse and Headset Bundle
We have yet another HP laptop on this list. The quality of the laptop is magnificent and with a great heat dissipation system. You can also upgrade the RAM later on.
- 【Upgraded Configuration】Its seal box is opened during upgrade for better performance. Substantial high-bandwidth 32GB RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once. A flash-based 1024GBSSD has no moving parts, resulting in faster start-up times and data access, no noise, and reduced heat production and power draw on the battery. A 1TB hard drive provides massive amounts of storage for daily backups.
- 【Microprocessor】Intel Core i7-10750H (2.6 GHz base frequency, up to 5.0 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)
2021 Apple MacBook Pro (14-inch /35.97 cm, Apple M1 Pro chip with 8-core CPU and 14-core GPU, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD) – Space Grey
- Apple M1 Pro or M1 Max chip for a massive leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Up to 10-core CPU delivers up to 2x faster performance to fly through pro workflows quicker than ever
MacBook Pro with M1 Pro processor is embedded with high-level Machine Learning and is a good choice for every engineering student or professionals working in the IT department or accountants who has a higher budget. It is a new release and has overall good performance, and is lightweight.
Lenovo ThinkPad P53s 20N6001UUS 15.6″ Mobile Workstation – 1920 x 1080 – Core i7 i7-8565U – 16 GB RAM – 512 GB SSD – Glossy Black – Windows 10 Pro 64-bit – NVIDIA Quadro P520 with 2 GB – in-Plane
This Lenovo ThinkPad is a great steal. The product has all the requirements that any engineering student or IT professional needs to work. In addition, the model is sleek and durable and has a prolonged life.
- Processor Manufacturer: Intel
- Processor Type: Core i7
Dell G5 15 Gaming Laptop (Windows 10 Home, 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H, NVIDIA GTX 1650, 15.6″ FHD LCD Screen, 256GB SSD and 1TB SATA, 16 GB RAM) G5590-7679BLK-PUS
This model is another laptop that has all of its features perfectly balanced. Most importantly, it has great battery life.
- Lead the pack with an elegant sleek design that keeps heads turning
- An innovative dual-fan cooling system with an advanced thermal design ensures that your system stays cool as the action heats up
Other Great Laptop Options
Why do Mechanical students need these laptops?
Now be it mechanical engineers or any other engineers, you need a laptop. Different engineers need laptops to run various software and do assignments. But, as a mechanical student, you would need a laptop which has good performance.
You would need to use software like Computer-Aided Design (CAD), SolidWorks, CREO Parametric, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), MATLAB, LabView on your device.
So, to support this software without any lag, you would need to consider many aspects of a model. Thus I have already listed my top laptop picks, but in case you want something else, we have also listed the aspects that you need to look out for a while selecting a model.
Buying Guide for Mechanical Engineering Students
It would be best if you considered the following facts before buying a laptop:
The most important thing is the screen size of your laptop! You will be using the laptop for hours, and you will need a comfortable screen size that you will be able to carry to and fro your college and home. Therefore, we would recommend a 14 inch – 16.1 inch laptop screen for you.
Do get a laptop with wide resolution. There is no second option. Thanks to the quick advancement in technology, laptops with 4k resolution are almost everywhere. Of course, higher resolution means more power consumption, but to cancel the disadvantage, get a model with good battery life. Just do not compromise with the display resolution while buying the laptop.
Plenty of storage is excellent, especially for backing up your data, media, video, files, and games. These days, most laptops come with a standard 1TB hard drive, which is more than enough.
RAM and Processor judge the performance of a computer. You should always look for a higher ram and get at least a model with 8 GB RAM. If possible, go for the powerful 16 GB RAM (Recommended), but you can also buy models to upgrade the RAM later. It would help run software like Autocad inventor, Ansys, Solidworks, Catia, so get a laptop with good RAM.
Another most essential thing to consider while buying a laptop or a PC, in general, is the processor. Your whole laptop performance is the processor. It is the CPU. For buying a laptop in 2022, be it any reason, you need to make sure that your processor is intel core i5 and above. AMD higher models are also recommended. The processor must have 4 or more cores, and the boost speed must be at least 3.8 GHz. A better processor means better multitasking capability.
Nowadays, the majority of the laptops that you find in the market come with integrated graphics but avoid them. It would be best if you looked for models with dedicated graphics cards. Opt for a 2GB or more dedicated graphic card. Also, get an Nvidia 1650 or 1650ti.
For an engineering student, we suggest you opt for the laptop models with USBs, data travelers, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi device compatibility, as you would need these to exchange data and send stuff from one place to another. Most laptop models these days provide you with at least two USB 2.0s and two USB 3.0 ports. Also, having a USB Type-C port is a great deal.
I suggest you get a 1.5 kg weighing device. It is the ideal weight. As an engineering student, you need to carry your laptop around college and from your home to your college. So, buying a lightweight laptop is mandatory.
Thus, this is my guide on the Best Laptops For Mechanical Engineering Students in 2022. This article has stated all the reasons and features one should look for while buying a laptop for engineering purposes in general, be it for students or professionals.
Also, I have provided the top models from my side. I have considered powerful RAM, a good amount of storage, a fast processor, a suitable screen size, a good graphics card, a comfortable keyboard and weight while choosing the laptop models.
Of course, you can always opt for any other model from my recommendation, but make sure that you check the specs I mentioned. With this, I conclude this article. I hope that this article will help you and guide you to select the perfect laptop for yourself.
Last update on 2022-01-20 using Amazon Product Advertising API