Are you a Mechanical Engineering student? And are you looking for the right laptop for yourself? Do not worry; I have got you covered. In this article, I have listed the best laptops for you (which I think is best for you).
I have used all my tech and college life experience to prepare this list. But be sure to read reviews and delivery options at your location and decide on your wisdom and budget. Because this list of the best laptops for mechanical engineering students is only advisory in nature and not absolute. From writing and buying college essays to writing and running CPU-intensive programs, these laptops can be useful for all your needs.
Minimum Requirement for Laptops for Mechanical Engineering Students
We, as mechanical engineering students, are required to have better machines, because not only our programs require heavy specifications but also different runtime environment needs.
The best laptops for mechanical students need to
- be portable & lightweight
- be built with performance in mind
- have optimized display (1080p or higher)
- have high storage capacity (1TB or higher)
- be durable
- have a great processor (i5 or higher), and
- have good graphics.
A minimum of 8GB RAM and 1TB laptop storage is required in laptop for mechanical students.
Thus you need to keep in mind these points while making a purchase.
In addition, as a mechanical engineering student, you have to make sure that the laptop you buy can handle software like ANSYS, Computer-Aided Design (CAD) apps, SolidWorks, CREO Parametric, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), MATLAB, LabView, MS Office, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), etc., which you would need in your course.
So basically you'll need Windows-based laptops or a MacBook. Linux laptops are not recommended for mechanical engineers - at least in most colleges.
Best Laptops for Mechanical Engineering Students
Here we have filtered out the 10 best laptops that will be good for mechanical engineering students. We have included a few gaming laptops, too, as they provide high performance and works equally smooth like a gaming laptop.
Dell Precision 5530
- 15.6" UltraSharp FHD IGZO4, 1920x1080, AG, NT, w/Prem Panel Guar 72% Color Gamut, Platinum Silver
- Nvidia Quadro P2000 w/4GB GDDD R5
- Intel Core i9-8950H, Six Core 2.90GHz, 4.80GHz Turbo, 12MB 45W
The model is exceptionally lightweight and thin. Thus you can easily carry it to and fro from college. It is engineered to perform well under any given conditions and take on any task very easily.
If you consider the specs and the performance of this laptop, you will know why it is called the "beast of the computer."
Here are the specifications:
- Brand: Dell
- Screen Size: 15.6 inches
- Processor: Hexa-core 2.6 GHz Intel i7-8850H
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4
- Storage: 512 GB Flash Memory Solid State
- Weight: 3.92 lbs
- Memory speed: 2666 MHz
- Graphics: Quadro P1000
- Operating system: Windows 10
- Batteries: 1 Lithium-ion battery required. (included)
Lenovo Legion 5i Pro
Lenovo Legion 5i Pro is a gaming laptop but will serve your purpose of having an educational laptop efficiently also. It provides powerful performance and has good construction and durability. The model supports good connectivity, and if needed, you can also upgrade its RAM to 32 GB.
- 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD
- Equipped With The Powerful and Fast 11th Gen Intel Octa-Core i7-11800H (Base Clock 2.3GHz, Max Boost Clock Up to 4.6GHz, 24MB...
- 16" QHD (2560 x 1600) IPS 165Hz Anti-glare Display, Dedicated NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 4GB GDDR6, Integrated Intel UHD Graphics
- Brand: Lenovo
- Screen Size: 15.6 inches
- Processor: Intel Core i7-10750H 10th Gen
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4
- Storage: 1TB SSD
- Weight: 5 lbs
- Memory speed: 2.6 GHz
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
- Operating system: Windows 10
- Batteries: 1 Lithium Polymer battery required. (included)
Though two major downsides of this model are that, it does not have an in-built webcam (bleh!) and weights a rough 2.3 kgs.View on Amazon
Acer Aspire 5
This is another classic model from Acer which has overall good performance. This laptop runs on Windows 11 operating system and provides you with up to 9.5-hours of battery life.
- 【RAM and Storage】20GB memory for multitasking Adequate high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser...
- 【Powerful Processor】AMD Ryzen 3 3350U Quad-Core Processor up to 3.50GHz to get things done fast with supreme performance.
- 【Display】15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare widescreen IPS Display. Complied with AMD Radeon Vega 6 Mobile Graphics to...
Overall it is a good laptop and has a sleek silver finish to it. The laptop works fine over long periods without producing too much heat.
HP Pavilion 15 Laptop
- POWER, PERFORMANCE, and SECURITY – Get work done on the go and experience mind-blowing entertainment with an Intel Core...
- FHD plus DISPLAY – View all your photos, movies, and games in vibrant, crystal-clear images with 178-degree wide viewing angles...
- INTEL CORE PROCESSOR – 12th Generation Intel Core processor distributes performance where you need it most for superior...
The laptop provides you with very high-quality performance without any lagging. You get a 16-inch screen and a highly efficient cooling system in it. The only downside of the laptop is that it does not have an exceptional battery life, unlike its other features.
ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14
- CREATED WITH ALAN WALKER – The Zephyrus G14 AW SE gaming laptop has iconic AW elements designed straight on the chassis for an...
- LIMITED EDITION - Collect the exclusive ROG x AW merch including caps, socks, and a laptop sleeve with Alan Walker DNA.
- COLLECTIBLE ROG REMIX PACKAGING - Get a hands-on DJ experience by remixing Alan Walker’s hit single “Sorry”—or get...
HP Victus 15.6" FHD
We have yet another HP laptop on this list. The quality of the laptop is magnificent and with a great heat dissipation system. You can also upgrade the RAM later on.
- PACKED FULL OF POWER – Experience desktop-level performance and capabilities with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800H Mobile Processor (1) and...
- MODERN GRAPHICS – Enjoy all your favorite games in stunning detail with the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU, featuring 4...
- GAMING HQ – Powered by OMEN hardware and OMEN Gaming Hub, you’ll easily control and customize every facet of this gaming...
2022 Apple MacBook Pro
- SUPERCHARGED BY M2 — The 13-inch MacBook Pro laptop is a portable powerhouse. Get more done faster with a next-generation 8-core...
- UP TO 20 HOURS OF BATTERY LIFE — Go all day and into the night, thanks to the power-efficient performance of the Apple M2 chip.
- SUSTAINED PERFORMANCE — Thanks to its active cooling system, the 13-inch MacBook Pro can sustain pro levels of performance, so...
MacBook Pro with M2 processor is embedded with high-level Machine Learning and is a good choice for every engineering student or professionals working in the IT department or accountants who has a higher budget. It is a new release and has overall good performance, and is lightweight.
Lenovo ThinkPad E15
This Lenovo ThinkPad is a great steal. The product has all the requirements that any engineering student or IT professional needs to work. In addition, the model is sleek and durable and has a prolonged life.
- Brand New Computer has been resealed to upgrade the Memory or SSD. One-year warranty from the manufacturer. Three-year warranty...
- Octa-core AMD Ryzen 7 5825U (8 cores 16 threads, base clock speed 2.0GHz, max turbo to 4.5GHz, 16MB L3 Cache); 16GB DDR4-3200MHz...
- The Latest ThinkPad E-series E15, A Successor to E15 Gen3, Features 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) IPS, Anti-glare, 300nits Display;...
Dell G5 15
This model is another laptop that has all of its features perfectly balanced. Most importantly, it has great battery life.
Other Great Laptop Options
Why do Mechanical students need these laptops?
Now be it mechanical engineers or any other engineers, you need a laptop. Different engineers need laptops to run various software and do assignments. But, as a mechanical student, you would need a laptop which has good performance.
You would need to use software like Computer-Aided Design (CAD), SolidWorks, CREO Parametric, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), MATLAB, LabView on your device.
So, to support this software without any lag, you would need to consider many aspects of a model. Thus I have already listed my top laptop picks, but in case you want something else, we have also listed the aspects that you need to look out for a while selecting a model.
Buying Guide for Mechanical Engineering Students
It would be best if you considered the following facts before buying a laptop:
The most important thing is the screen size of your laptop! You will be using the laptop for hours, and you will need a comfortable screen size that you will be able to carry to and fro your college and home. Therefore, we would recommend a 14 inch - 16.1 inch laptop screen for you.
Do get a laptop with wide resolution. There is no second option. Thanks to the quick advancement in technology, laptops with 4k resolution are almost everywhere. Of course, higher resolution means more power consumption, but to cancel the disadvantage, get a model with good battery life. Just do not compromise with the display resolution while buying the laptop.
Plenty of storage is excellent, especially for backing up your data, media, video, files, and games. These days, most laptops come with a standard 1TB hard drive, which is more than enough.
RAM and Processor judge the performance of a computer. You should always look for a higher ram and get at least a model with 8 GB RAM. If possible, go for the powerful 16 GB RAM (Recommended), but you can also buy models to upgrade the RAM later. It would help run software like Autocad inventor, Ansys, Solidworks, Catia, so get a laptop with good RAM.
Another most essential thing to consider while buying a laptop or a PC, in general, is the processor. Your whole laptop performance is the processor. It is the CPU. For buying a laptop in 2022, be it any reason, you need to make sure that your processor is intel core i5 and above. AMD higher models are also recommended. The processor must have 4 or more cores, and the boost speed must be at least 3.8 GHz. A better processor means better multitasking capability.
Nowadays, the majority of the laptops that you find in the market come with integrated graphics but avoid them. It would be best if you looked for models with dedicated graphics cards. Opt for a 2GB or more dedicated graphic card. Also, get an Nvidia 1650 or 1650ti.
For an engineering student, we suggest you opt for the laptop models with USBs, data travelers, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi device compatibility, as you would need these to exchange data and send stuff from one place to another. Most laptop models these days provide you with at least two USB 2.0s and two USB 3.0 ports. Also, having a USB Type-C port is a great deal.
I suggest you get a 1.5 kg weighing device. It is the ideal weight. As an engineering student, you need to carry your laptop around college and from your home to your college. So, buying a lightweight laptop is mandatory.
Thus, this is my guide on the Best Laptops For Mechanical Engineering Students in 2024. This article has stated all the reasons and features one should look for while buying a laptop for engineering purposes in general, be it for students or professionals.
Also, I have provided the top models from my side. I have considered powerful RAM, a good amount of storage, a fast processor, a suitable screen size, a good graphics card, a comfortable keyboard and weight while choosing the laptop models.
Of course, you can always opt for any other model from my recommendation, but make sure that you check the specs I mentioned. With this, I conclude this article. I hope that this article will help you and guide you to select the perfect laptop for yourself.
Last update on 2024-02-25 using Amazon Product Advertising API.