How to Write Better Mission Statements?
Businesses run on missions. Mission to achieve a goal, mission to gain a certain customer base, and above all make the best money possible. If you own a business, you should clearly have a goal of what you are going to achieve in theory. This goal is developed by popular businesses as a mission statement. A brand’s work ethics depend on these mission statements. A mission statement is the first element of a business’ growth.
Table of Contents
Mission Statement: Definition
Mission Statement (n.) is a formal summary of the aims and values of a company, organization, or individual.
Characteristics of a Mission Statement
To write a better mission statement for your business, you must always be aware of what you are going to achieve in long term — not just practically but also theoretically. Brands like Amazon, Coca-Cola, etc., use these mission statements as their taglines and sometimes as trademarks to sell their products.
Amazon dares to call itself the most customer-friendly company on the planet while Coca-Cola wants the world to have a refresh with happiness.
If you are going to write a mission statement for your company, make sure that your mission statement:
- Is short and easy to repeat.
- Is focused on a specific problem.
- Is using plain language.
- Is not pleading but is boasting.
- Is setting an ultimate goal.
- Starts with an action verb.
Learn: What is an action verb?
Best Examples of Mission Statements
These can be best explained by some examples. I have compiled a list of the best mission statements in the market as of now. You may find that these statements are not totally aligned with my rules of writing a great mission statement but these are successful brands and they make the rules.
- “Build the best product, cause no unnecessary harm, use business to inspire and implement solutions to the environmental crisis.” -Patagonia
- “Committed to providing our customers with the best possible service — and to improving it every day.” -Nordstrom
- “Dedication to the highest quality of Customer Service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride, and Company Spirit.” -Southwest Airlines
- “Delivers proven solutions that drive innovation and improve performance.” -SAS
- “Helping pets live longer, happier and healthier lives through proper nutrition and care.” -Purina
- “Helps people around the world save money and live better — anytime and anywhere — in retail stores, online and through their mobile devices.” -Walmart
- “Makes the world a more caring place by helping people laugh, love, heal, say thanks, reach out and make meaningful connections with others.” -Hallmark
- “Makes the world’s daily habits inspiring and entertaining.” -Yahoo
- “Making the whole planet feel better. One bottle at a time.” -Naked Juice
- “Provide branded products and services of superior quality and value that improve the lives of the world’s consumers, now and for generations to come.” -Proctor & Gamble
- “Providing people with essentials for a better life by adding convenience to daily routines with some of the world’s most recognized products.” -Kimberly-Clark
- “Spread Ideas.” -TED
- “The world’s leading provider of premium products and premium services for individual mobility.” -BMW
- “To attract and attain customers with high-valued products and services and the most satisfying ownership experience in America.” -Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A.
- “To be the leading brand of quality lifestyle accessories offering classic, modern American styling.” -Coach
- “To be the preeminent global hospitality company – the first choice of guests, team members, and owners alike.” -Hilton Worldwide
- “To be the preferred provider of targeted financial service in our communities based on strong customer relationships.” -Commerce Bank
- “To be the world’s favorite for American Style.” -Gap, Inc.
- “To be the World’s Greatest Kids’ Brand.” -Toys “R” Us
- “To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world.” -Nike
- “To care for the world we live in, from the products we make to the ways in which we give back to society.” -Aveda
- “To champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity.” -Charles Schwab
- “To connect people with their world, everywhere they live and work, and do it better than anyone else.” -AT&T
- “To create a better everyday for all people impacted by our business.” -IKEA
- “To create and promote great-tasting, truly healthy, organic beverages.” -Honest Tea
- “To embrace the human spirit and let it fly.” -Virgin Atlantic
- “To enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news and information.” -The New York Times
- “To enrich and delight the world through foods and brands that matter.” -Kellogg Company
- “To facilitate the financial security of its members, associates, and their families through provision of a full range of highly competitive financial products and services.” -USAA
- “To give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers.” -Twitter
- “To give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected.” -Facebook
- “To help customers improve and maintain their biggest asset- their home.” -Lowe’s
- “To help you savor the good life.” -Cuisinart
- “To inspire a consumer revolution that nurtures the health of the next seven generations.” -Seventh Generation
- “To inspire and connect with women to put their best selves forward every day.” -Ann Taylor
- “To inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.” -Starbucks
- “To make people’s lives better everyday – naturally.” -Burt’s Bees
- “To make the world inbound. We want to transform how organizations do marketing.” –HubSpot
- “To organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.” -Google
- “To passionately create innovation for our stakeholders at the intersection of chemistry, biology and physics.” -Dow Chemical
- “To provide superior service in every aspect of our customer’s air travel experience.” -Jet Blue Airways
- “To provide the best customer service possible.” -Zappos
- “To refresh the world; to inspire moments of optimism and happiness; to create value and make a difference.” -Coca-Cola
- “To satisfy curiosity and make a difference in people’s lives by providing the highest quality content, services and products that entertain, engage and enlighten.” -Discovery Media
- “Turning moments into memories for our guests.” -Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
- “We enable businesses to thrive and economies to prosper, helping people fulfill their hopes and dreams and realize their ambitions.” -HSBC Bank
- “We make invention accessible.” -Quirky
- “We seek to be Earth’s most customer-centric company for four primary customer sets: consumers, sellers, enterprises, and content creators.” -Amazon
- “We strive to be the global leader in the sporting goods industry with brands built on a passion for sports and a sporting lifestyle!” -Adidas
- “We’re in the business to help improve lives. With every product you purchase, TOMS will help a person in need. One for one.” -TOMS Shoes
By reading these 50 mission statements, you can surely make one of your own, right?