Our earth is at a very crucial stage. From this position, only we can make sure that where would our future go? Few Authorities and Initiatives are trying their most to save our earth & environment.
INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF FORESTS 2011
The United Nations declared the year 2011 as the International Year of Forests to raise awareness and strengthen the Sustainable forest management, conservation and developement of all types of trees for the benefit of current and future generations.
Greenpeace was founded in 1971, in Vancouver, Canada, by Jim Bohlem, Irving & Dorothy Stowe and Paul Cote. It stands for opposing environmental abuse, saving endangered species and increasing public awareness through direct action, lobbying, research and innovation.
Members: 3.1 millions in 45+ countries
HQ: Amsterdam, Netherlands
WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY
World Environment Day (WED) was started by the UN General Assembly in 1972 at the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment. WED is commemorated each year on june 5, in a different city.
Through WED, the United Nations stimulates worldwide awareness of the environment and enhances political attention and action.
Earth Day is celebrated all across New World (America) , where communities honor the environmental holiday by highlighting green issues and committing themselves to make a difference in their locale.
Earth Hour began in Sydney, Australia, in 2007 with about 2 million participants. The voluntary one hour blackout has since grown into an international event as a sign of action against.
Last year, for earth hour 2010, millions of businesses, homes and landmarks around the world switched off their lights on March 27th , between 8:30 to 9:30 on their local time. Thousands of cities in a record 121 countries participated in earth hour 2010.
Other Important International Initiatives and Conventions:
• UN Framework Convention On Climate Change (UNFCCC)
• Kyoto Protocol to the UNFCCC
• Convention on the Laws of the Non-Navigational Uses of International Water Courses
• Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent Procedure for Certain Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade
• Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants
• International Tropical Timber Agreement 2006
• UN Convention on the Law of the Sea
• Agreement for the Implementation of the Provisions of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea relating to the Conservation and Management of Straddling Fish Stocks and Highly Migratory Fish Stocks.
If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our Newsletter for regular updates to your inbox. You can also find us on Twitter and Facebook. If you are an Android user, you can download our official app here. Have an important query? Email me at email@example.com.