Looking for the best laptops for writing and blogging needs? I’m sure you are. In this guide, I will be guiding you on how to choose a great laptop for your writing needs and what are the options for the best laptops for writers and bloggers in the market.
For writers, bloggers and content creators, a properly working laptop is absolutely essential. Most people probably feel that one just needs a keyboard and some whitespace to continue with their writing. However, that is not really true. Like all other professionals, writers have specific needs that their main tool must fulfill.
For example, having a functional keyboard alone is not enough. A writer must have a keyboard that is accurate, durable, and reliable. It should be able to endure hours of typing without getting damaged. Similarly, a writer’s laptop must have a top quality display which shows everything clearly outdoors, and is easy on the eyes indoors.
In this article, we aim to provide a well-organized list of the best laptops for writers and bloggers in 2021. We hope it will help you spend less time on going through the market yourself, which you can devote to your writing work instead.
What are the most important qualities of a laptop?
There are a number of different features that determine the quality of a laptop. In order to compile this list, we have paid particular attention to the details listed below:
- Longer battery life
- Higher screen resolution
- Comfortable keyboard
- Compact laptop design
If you are looking for numbers, here are the minimum specifications your laptop must have:
- 4GB RAM
- 256GB SSD
- i3 or equivalent processor
- 1280x800px resolution.
If you are professional writer/blogger, here are the recommended specifications that your laptop should be having:
- 8GB RAM
- 512GB SSD
- i5 or equivalent processor
- 1920x1080px resolution
If you are still unsure on how to tackle these specifications, please refer to my laptop buying guide.
By considering and comparing these features, you will be able to select a laptop that is durable and properly functional. Such laptops will help in improving your writing and blogging activities significantly.
Best Selling Laptops for Writers and Bloggers
Best Laptops for Writers and Bloggers in 2021
Apple MacBook Air with M1 Chip
The 13.3-inch Apple MacBook Air with M1 Chip is definitely one of the most strongly built and cool-looking laptops in the market today. It can meet the needs of most people, including professional writers, quite satisfactorily. Thanks to its popularity, it still holds a position in the best laptops list.
One of the biggest advantages of the MacBook Air is its ten hours of battery life. As a result, you will be able to work on your laptop for long hours without plugging it in. Apart from this, MacBook Air also offers you SSD storage which is 15 times faster than a 5400 RPM notebook. As a result, the MacBook is much faster and easier to operate.
- Camera: 720p FaceTime HD camera
- Connectivity: 802.11 ac Wi-Fi networking, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible, Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- CPU: 8-core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, 7-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
- RAM: 8 GB unified memory
- Screen: 13.3 inch, IPS Retina Display (2560×1600)
- Storage: 256GB PCIe-based flash storage which is configurable to 512GB/1TB flash storage
- Comfortable to use
- Cool and stylish in appearance
- Durable due to its aluminum build
- Lightweight and portable
- Long battery life of around 10 hours (if only used for reading and writing)
- Regular software updates
- Very fast due to its SSD storage
- Not suitable for gaming
- Lacks sufficient memory storage space. You will have to use external hard disks or cloud storage for additional memory.
Asus ZenBook 14
Apple products are well known for their stylish designs and efficient performance. However, they are quite expensive as well. If you are looking for the best laptop for blogging, which offers a lot of features for its price, then you should consider going for Asus ZenBook.
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 7500U Processor
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home – ASUS recommends Windows 10 Pro
- Memory: 16 GB LPDDR3 2133MHz SDRAM Onboard Memory
- Display: 31.75cm(12.5) (16:9) LED backlit FHD (1920×1080) 60Hz Glare Panel with 72% NTSC with 178˚ wide-viewing angle display
- Security: Fingerprint Reader
- Graphic Integrated Intel HD Graphics
- Storage Solid State Drives: 512GB PCIE Gen3X4 SSD
- Keyboard: Illuminated Chiclet Keyboard
- WebCam: VGA Web Camera
- Networking: Wi-Fi (Integrated 802.11 AC) and Bluetooth (inbuilt Bluetooth V4.1)
- Interface: 1 x COMBO audio jack
- Battery: 6 Cells 40 Whrs Polymer Battery
- Weight: 910 g with Battery
- Dimensions: 296 x 191.2 x 11.9 mm (WxDxH) (with 6-cell battery)
Among the writing community, the Asus ZenBook is regarded to be an excellent alternative to MacBook Air. Compared to the latter, it works on a Windows operating system and is reasonably priced. Its specifications are decent and have most of the positives that MacBooks offer. For example, its efficient i7 processor makes it easy to operate. It is also lightweight, easily portable, and durable.
- An excellent alternative to MacBooks
- Decent battery life
- Efficient overall performance
- Faster due to its SSD drives
- High quality audio output
- Inbuilt fingerprint reader for higher security
- Reasonably priced
- Very lightweight (less than 1 kg)
- Lack of keyboard backlighting
- Poor quality web camera
Apple MacBook Pro
- Tenth-generation quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
- Brilliant Retina display with True Tone technology
A lot of customers prefer the MacBook Pro over the MacBook Air, due to the superior performance and higher storage capacity. It is a highly functional device from Apple with liberal storage capacity, powerful RAM, and state-of-the-art processor. These powerful specifications make it one of the best laptops in the contemporary market.
- Up to 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2880-by-1800 native resolution at 220 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors; 500 nits brightness; Wide color (P3)
- Up to 16GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
- 2.8GHz Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching to Intel HD Graphics 630
- 256GB PCIe-based onboard SSD which an be configurable to 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB SSD
- 720p FaceTime HD camera
- Height: 0.61 inch (1.55 cm) Width: 13.75 inches (34.93 cm) Depth: 9.48 inches (24.07 cm)
- Processor: 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, with 6MB shared L3 cache configurable to 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz, with 8MB shared L3 cache
- Retina display
- Weight: 4.02 pounds (1.83 kg)
- Wi-Fi 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible
For Apple users who want a smoothly operable keyboard, strong build, excellent storage capacity, and long battery life, the MacBook Pro is a much better choice than MacBook Air.
- Durable and reliable
- Easily operable keyboard
- Large and spacious trackpad
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Long battery life of nearly eight hours
- Long-lasting build quality
- Relatively more expensive than its peers
- The latest version does not have MagSafe
Microsoft Surface Book 2 and 3
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 features a 8th generation Intel Dual Core i5 Processor, 256 GB of storage, 16 GB RAM, and up to 17 hours of video playback
- Includes an Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated GPU
When it comes to convertible laptops, devices from Microsoft are quite popular among customers. Microsoft’s Surface Laptop series is particularly well-known for its attractive designs. One of the best products in this regard is the Microsoft Surface Book 2. It is a high end convertible laptop cum tablet, which you can conveniently take along with you while traveling.
- Camera: Windows 8MP rear-facing autofocus camera (1080p), 5MP front-facing Hello face-authentication camera (1080p HD)
- Connectivity: 802.11ac 2 x 2 MIMO Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, Xbox Wireless
- CPU: 1.9GHz Intel Core i7-8650U (quad-core, 8MB cache, up to 4.2GHz with Turbo Boost)
- Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620; Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5 VRAM)
- Ports: 2 x USB 3.1, 1 x USB 3.1 Type-C, 2 x Surface Connect, SD card reader, 3.5mm audio jack
- RAM: 16GB LPDDR3 (1866Mhz)
- Screen: 15-inch, 3,240 x 2,160 (260 ppi) PixelSense display (3:2 aspect ratio; 1600:1 contrast ratio)
- Size: 13.5 x 9.87 x 0.568 ~ 0.90 inches (343 x 251 x 15 ~ 23mm; W x D x H)
- Storage: 1TB PCIe 3.0 SSD
- Weight: 4.2 pounds (1.9kg) with keyboard base
For bloggers, Microsoft Surface Book 2 is an excellent option. It comes with impressive specs such as a 1080p webcam, 1 TB of SSD storage space, and ultra HD graphics.
- Excellent ultra HD graphics for gaming
- Lightweight build
- Can be used both as a laptop and tablet
- Sensitive and efficient touchscreen
- Inbuilt Xbox wireless support
- Excellent battery life
- Superior specifications compared to its predecessors
- High cost
- Large screen which tends to wobble occasionally
- USB-C lacks Thunderbolt
Dell Inspiron 2-in-1
- 【Dell Inspiron Laptop】16GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once; 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Diver for ample storage space.
- 【11th Gen Intel Core i5 Processor】11th Generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor (Quad-Core, 8 Threads, 8MB Cache, Base Frequency at 2.40GHz, and Up to 4.20GHz at Maximum Turbo Speed)
Conventional laptops are no longer being preferred by customers. Many writers are now interested in convertible and detachable laptops, which can be used both as a laptop and a functional tablet with a touch panel. If you are interested in buying such a device, then Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 could be a great choice for you. It is one of the most popular 2-in-1 laptops among bloggers and writers today. It is especially considered to be among the best laptops for blogging.
- CPU: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5-8250U (quad-core, 6MB cache, up to 3.4GHz)
- Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620
- RAM: 12 GB DDR4
- Screen: 15.6-inch FHD (1,920 x 1,080) touch panel (WLED, IPS)
- Storage: 256GB SSD (PCIe, NVMe, M.2)
- Ports: 1 x USB 3.1 (USB-C), 2 x USB 3.1, 1 x SD, 1 x 3.5mm audio jack
- Connectivity: Intel 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2
- Camera: FHD IR webcam
- Weight: 6.61 pounds (1.45kg)
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 14.9 x 9.9 x 0.7 inches
Like other 2-in-1 laptops, Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 can serve as both a laptop and a tablet. However, compared to its peers, it has a much superior configuration. You will be able to manage several tasks like writing, blogging, reading, and browsing the Internet very conveniently using this device.
- Can be used efficiently when traveling
- Display with IPS touch technology, which allows it to be used as a tablet
- Fast and efficient performance, due to its 12 GB DDR4 RAM
- Handy convertible that artists can use with Dell’s optional pen
- Reasonably priced for its features
- Can get overheated when used for long periods of time
- Comparatively shorter battery life
- The sound gets noticeably distorted at higher volumes
Dell Latitude 7490
- Fresh install and activated Windows 10 with zero bloatware. Your very own genuine Windows 10 digital license will be applied to the unit.
- 8th Generation Intel Quad Core i7 8650U 1.9Ghz
Compared to other Dell models like the Studio series and Inspiron, Dell Latitude 7000 series is much more expensive. However, it is important to realize that it features some really welcome improvements for that additional price. Most noticeably, it has much better build quality and overall performance compared to its peers.
- 12.5″ Gorilla Glass TouchScreen FHD (1920×1080)
- 16GB DDR4 Memory RAM (MAX 32GB)
- 256GB SSD
- 7th Gen Intel Core i7-7600U 2.80 GHz (Turbo 3.90 GHz, 4MB Smart Cache, 2 cores 4 threads, 15W, vPro)
- Backlit keyboard
- Size 11.45 x 7.59 x 0.32-inches
- WebCam and microphone
- Weight 1.61 kg
- WiFi-AC and BlueTooth
- Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
The Dell Latitude 7490 is a stylish and ultrathin laptop which has truly remarkable and efficient performance. In return for its higher price, it offers useful features like a powerful i7 processor, 12-inch gorilla glass touch screen, and liberal SSD storage.
- 12-inch gorilla glass touch screen, which makes it easier to handle and operate
- Double USB type-C ports with Thunderbolt 3
- Durable and long-lasting, due to its magnesium-alloy body
- Faster speed
- Large SSD storage capacity
- Low quality audio output
- Relatively poor battery life
- The Latest ThinkPad E-series E15, A Successor to E590, Features 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) TN Anti-glare 220nits Display,Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620 - Supports external digital monitor via HDMI or USB Type-C, Max external digital monitor resolution: 4K(3840x2160)
- Intel 10th Gen Core i5-10210U (4 cores 8 threads, base clock speed 1.6GHz, max turbo to 4.2GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
Lenovo’s ThinkPads, including the base models, are remarkably powerful and durable. The latest model in the market has 16 GB of RAM and a state-of-the-art i7 processor. For customers who wish to get a fast and efficient device from Lenovo, ThinkPad is an excellent option.
- Battery: 3 Cell Li-Ion Battery – 45Wh
- Bluetooth: 4.1 wireless
- Display: 15.6″ FHD (1920×1080), anti-glare IPS
- Fingerprint reader: Available
- Graphics: Intel UHD 620
- Keyboard: 6-row, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, numeric keypad
- Mouse: TouchPad and TrackPoint
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64
- Ports: Two USB 3.1 (one Always On), one USB 2.0, HDMI 1.4b, Ethernet (RJ-45), One USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 (support data, video, and power delivery)
- Processor: Intel Dual Core i7-8550U Processor (1.8GHz – 4.0GHz, 8MB cache)
- RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz (32GB Max)
- Storage: 500GB Solid State Drive
- Webcam: 720p HD Webcam and Microphone
- Weight: 2 kg
- Wireless: Realtek® RTL8822BE, Wi-Fi 2×2 802.11ac + BT4.1, M.2 card
One of the best features of Lenovo ThinkPad is its durable and smoothly working keyboard. It makes typing much easier for bloggers and writers. ThinkPad also has 500 GB of SSD storage and a 15-inch full HD antiglare screen. It will help you perform all your daily tasks with much more ease.
- RAM and hard drive capacity can be easily increased by updating the device’s hardware
- Smooth and efficient performance
- HD webcam having 720p resolution
- Antiglare IPS screen
- 500 GB of SSD storage
- State-of-the-art keyboard
- Excellent battery backup
- Certain region-exclusive models have lesser features
- Display quality can differ between identical models of the same laptop
- 13.4" FHD (1920 x 1200) InfinityEdge Touch Anti-Reflective 500-Nit Display
- 11th Generation, Intel Core i7-1185G7 Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.8 GHz)
Among Dell laptops, many users consider Dell XPS laptops to be high-end models which have been designed for superior performance. Their design is one of the finest you will get to see in the market. They also have a powerful build with high resolution display, 1 TB of SSD storage, and 16 GB of RAM. With their help, you will be able to carry out your writing work very smoothly. They do cost nearly as much as MacBooks, but considering the features they offer, it is quite worth it.
- Camera: Widescreen HD (720p) webcam with 4 array digital microphones
- Connectivity: Killer 1435 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1
- CPU: 1.8GHz Intel Core i7-8550U (quad-core, 8MB cache, up to 4.0GHz)
- Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620
- Ports: 2 x Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), 1 x USB-C 3.1, micro SD card reader, headset jack
- RAM: 16GB DDR3 (2,133MHz)
- Screen: 13.3-inch, Ultra HD (3,840 x 2,160) UltraSharp InfinityEdge touch display
- Size: 11.9 x 7.8 x 0.3-0.46 inches (3.02 x 1.99 x 0.78-1.16cm; W x D x H)
- Storage: 1TB PCIe SSD
- Weight: 2.67 pounds (1.21kg)
A number of users consider Dell XPS13 an excellent alternative to MacBooks. Like the latter, it has a 13-inch ultra HD display with an additional 1 TB of SSB storage and a high quality webcam. If you are a writer who spends a lot of time typing and browsing online, you could go for this conveniently lightweight laptop.
- 1 TB of upgradeable storage with 16 GB of RAM
- Excellent battery life
- HD camera with digital microphones
- Touchscreen display
- Ultra HD quality
- Awkward positioning of the webcam makes Skyping and video calling difficult
- Overheating with prolonged use
- Poor quality audio output
- 15.6 inch Full HD NanoEdge bezel display with stunning 83% screen-to-body ratio
- Powerful Intel Core i3-1005G1 Processor 1.2 GHz (4M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
The ASUS VivoBook 14 is undoubtedly one of the cheapest and best laptops available in the market today. With 1 TB of hard disk space and 128 GB of SSD storage, this device has amazingly fast app loading performance and boot times. It also has state-of-the-art HD graphics and a high resolution display.
- Camera: VGA (640×480) webcam
- Connectivity: 2 x 2 dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Bluetooth 4.2
- CPU: 2.9GHz Intel Core i7-7500U (dual-core, 4MB cache, up to 3.5GHz)
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620
- Ports: 1 x USB 3.1 USB-C, 1 x USB 3.1, 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x audio combo jack, 1 x HDMI, 1 x SD card reader
- RAM: 8GB DDR4
- Screen: 15.6-inch FHD (1,920 x 1,080) with 178-degree wide-angle viewing
- Size: 14.23 x 9.59 x 0.7 inches (36.14 x 24.35 x 1.78cm; W x D x H)
- Storage: 1TB hard drive; 128GB SSD (SATA 3)
- Weight: 3.3 pounds (1.5kg)
Apart from its liberal storage capacity and high quality graphics, Asus’ VivoBook has a sturdy build that helps it endure stress over time. If you are looking for a durable laptop that will reliably serve you for years, this is a great option for you. Its massive 15.6-inch screen is bright and crystal clear. Despite a few disappointments, including its average battery life, it is an overall excellent option for writers.
- Smoothly working backlit keyboard
- Durable, long-lasting build
- Excellent overall performance
- 1 TB of hard disk space
- Wide angle viewing screen
- Below average battery life
- Inadequate cooling system
Acer Aspire 5
- Powerful Productivity: AMD Ryzen 3 3350U delivers desktop-class performance and amazing battery life in a slim notebook. With Precision Boost, get up to 3.5GHz for your high-demand applications
- Maximized Visuals: See even more on the stunning 15.6" Full HD display with 82.58% screen-to-body, 16:9 aspect ratio and narrow bezels
Acer is one of the oldest and most well-reputed brands in the laptop industry. It is well-known among customers for offering highly functional laptops with attractive features and reasonable pricing. Acer Aspire 5 is one of the best laptops for writing with high end configuration, including 8 GB RAM, various storage options, and excellent graphics.
- Camera: 1280 x 720 webcam
- Connectivity: Dual Band 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Bluetooth 4.1
- CPU: 1.6GHz Intel Core i5-8250U (6 MB cache, up to 3.4GHz)
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 (2 GB GDDR5 VRAM); Intel UHD Graphics 620
- RAM: 8GB DDR4
- Screen: 15.6-inch FHD (1,920 x 1,080) LED-backlit display
- Size: 15.02 x 10.20 x 1.19 inches (38.15 x 25.9 x 3.02cm; W x D x H)
- Storage: 256 GB SSD
- Weight: 5.27 pounds (2.39kg)
Even if you are not a writer, Acer laptops can help you efficiently perform heavy amounts of work for long durations of time. The Acer Aspire E 15 laptop, with its 256 GB of SSD storage and 15-inch full HD display, you can complete your tasks with minimal effort.
- High resolution HD display
- Excellent overall performance
- High end graphics
- SSD hard drive
- HD webcam
- USB-C port and AC WiFi
- Reasonable pricing
- Overheating with prolonged use
An ideal laptop for writers and bloggers should possess a solid combination of performance, power, convenience, and efficiency. It should be accurate, reliable, comfortable to use, and have satisfactory tactile feedback and bounce. In case of writers, the laptop should be durable enough to endure long hours of typing without fatiguing.
It should also have a good display which shows you things clearly outdoors, and does not strain your eyes indoors. The above list features presently available laptops which possess most of these good qualities. We hope this helps you choose a product that helps you carry out your writing work smoothly and comfortably.
Last update on 2021-11-27 using Amazon Product Advertising API