A Yes No Puzzle

This is not just math, but a very good test for linguistic reasoning. If you are serious about this test and think that you’ve a sharp [at least average] brain then read the statement (only) below –summarize it –find the conclusion and then answer that whether summary of the statement is Yes or No.
[And if you’re not serious about the test …then read the whole post to know what the stupid author was trying to tell you. πŸ™‚ ]
STATEMENT: If the question you answered before you answered the question you answered after you answered the question you answered before you answered this one, was harder than the question you answered after you answered the question you answered before you answered this one, was the question you answered before you answered this one harder than this one? YES or NO?

Answer:

The answer is YES.

In other words, we could restate the statement as:

If the question you answered before this one was harder than THIS ONE, was the question you answered before this one harder than THIS ONE.

That makes the answer obvious.

Gaurav Tiwari

A designer by profession, a mathematician by education but a Blogger by hobby. With an experience of over seven years with WordPress, PHP and CSS3, Gaurav is capable of doing almost anything related to these. Beyond that, He is a mathematics graduate & a civil service aspirant.

You may also like...

23 Responses

1. Yes, the answer is pretty easy (because you provided it) πŸ™‚

2. Val says:

just trying to read it did my eyes in (that’s not good English, but never mind!)
    πŸ˜‰

3. timethief says:

Just reading the question threatened to give me a migraine headache. Thank goodness you provided the answer. πŸ˜‰

4. Brad says:

Well… No! The question I answered before this one was never harder than this one (per se), because I hadn’t asked myself this question before I answered the previous one. In hindsight, now that I’ve answered the question I answered before this one, its answer appears to have been easier than the answer to this question – although it’s possible that I gave the wrong answer to the question I answered before this one, in which case it must have been harder than I think this question is.

5. Brad says:

Oh! Hold on a second…
    It’s a YES or KNOW? question, but I intimated a NO!
    I should clarify that when I say NO I mean not YES but KNOW?, and that when I say KNOW? I mean “KNOW?”

[Sorry! That is NO, not Know. –Gaurav]

• I’m sorry.. That’s a typo. I updated the post. Thank you and sorry. Looks like this question is holding a lot of confusions. πŸ™‚

I wrote it NO but when editing the post unfortunately it changed into KNOW.

6. Brad says:

Oh! I like the question better with the typo!! haha. thanks Gaurav πŸ™‚

7. i really love this.nice one

8. Manish says:

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜› Mind crashed.
    Now, I’m in PEACE.

9. @shanoj & @urstrulysunny: Sometimes math is loved by people, if it’s either weird or practical. That’s the theory of this post. Thanks for your comment.

10. shivnadimpalli says:

hey gaurav u’ve got any GOOD lateral thinking problems ??? if u do have then pls. post them on ur blog or email them to me …… and awesome job with the blog

11. My God!
    Until the time I came till the end of the question, without even “trying to understand” it, I was so confused, and all I said was “YES”.