Home » Posts tagged 'Fibre Optics'
Tag Archives: Fibre Optics
L A S E R S
Light Amplified by Stimulated Emission of Radiation i.e. LASER is one of the most incredible discoveries of Physics. First produced in 1960s, it recently completed its 50th year.
Laser light is emitted when atoms make transition from one Quantum State to a lower one.
Properties of Laser Light
1) Laser light is highly monochromatic.
2) Laser Light is highly coherent .
3) Laser light is highly directional.
4) Laser light can be sharply focused.
Types of Lasers
IV. Metal Vapour LASERs: Copper Vapour LASER, Gold Vapour LASER
V. Dye LASERs
VI. RAMAN LASERs
VII. Free Electron LASER
VIII. Gas Dynamic LASER
* The smallest Lasers are use in Fibre Optics– for -Voice & Data Transmission over Optical Fibres.
* The Largest lasers are used for nuclear fusion research, to measure astronomical distances and in military applications.
* Other uses are– Reading Bar Codes, Manufacturing and Reading CDs and DVDs, Performing Surgery, Surveying, Cutting hundred layes Cloth at a time in the garment industry, weldings and in generating holograms.